Tuesday 8 October 2013

Our Town by Jim Gibbon - Ward 5 Candidate Edmonton Election 2013




Our Town
By Jim Gibbon
Since a very young age music has been a very important part of my life, from playing Tuba in the school band to playing in local rock bands in my university days. Now, as I've become older I realize the importance of music education in my life and I strive to teach my children to do the same.

For this election I thought it would be fun to write a song about my favorite city... Edmonton of course!

I included allusions to what built Edmonton; Coal, Gold, Oil. If I made one with pictures from today Edmonton would be a much different place. Much more diverse ethnically socially, and economically. I love today diverse Edmonton but this nod is to how we got here. 

BTW all the photos, with the exception of one photo taken in Jasper, are photographed in Edmonton and are from the Gibbon family collection - however, there are many individuals we don't know. If you recognize someone in the video please let me know we would love to hear who it is. Most of the black and white photos were taken in the 1920s when Edmonton was a bustling exciting growing city.

No comments:

Post a Comment