Thursday 29 August 2013

Traffic cutting in Ormsby and Lymburn

I was recently approached by a gentleman who was worried about speeding on Ormsby road, as people cut through the neighbourhood. I did not immediately contact him, but instead decided to investigate.

I contacted the City and discovered that they had, in fact, done a study and decided that there were no problems.
So, tonight, while campaigning Door to Door I visited Ormsby Road in Ormsby and 188 Street in Lymburn. I saw a few cars speeding by; I also saw a lot of children; and I heard a lot of complaints. Well, if the City feels there are no problems but the locals and my own eyes tell me otherwise, we need a solution.
I have an idea to get things rolling. But first a few graphics explaining the problem.
Here is the neighbourhood with the areas that feed the roads in light yellow.
 
Here is the route they take (red):
 
 
So here is my short term solution. We install four of these pole mounted speed cameras:
People living on Hemmingway road will be familiar with these types of units near Sister Annata Brockman school. 
We mount them in these four places
 
This does one of three things:
1. It shows drivers that might have not realized how fast they were going, how fast, in fact, they were going.

2. It shows drivers that refuse to believe that they might be a danger, how fast they are going.

3. It allows concerned residents to watch, and track how fast cars are going. A cell phone camera picture of a speeder does MUCH more to impress a bureaucrat than a phone call.

There you go. Not a permanent, long term solution but a simple, citizen driven, inexpensive start. If the situation improves we all win. If speeding is in fact as bad as some people say and we get proof, we can begin to resolve the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment